Garlic Roasted & Vegetable Herb Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
NO ONE likes a savory, yummy casserole more than me. However, now that I’m not eating meat, I was worried about casseroles – how would I find them without meat in them?
Trust me – it’s super easy! I found tons of them – so many I had to decide where to start.
This one is super rich in iron and protein, has organic broccoli to get your greens, and I added flavored quinoa to really spice up the flavor. It melted in my mouth. So delicious, guilt-free, and healthy.
You can iterate on the recipe however you see fit, too. I connected you to the original recipe below, but I made a few of my own changes to it that suited me. You can do the same. 🙂 Switch up the cheeses or add spices you like – it’s all in your hands. I give you where to start, and you can run with it!
This is perfect if you need to whip something up fast for a family get-together, reunion, for the co-workers in your office for lunch, or a family dinner. No meat needed, and I promise no one will miss it. This is delicious!
Enjoy with all my love,
YIELD: 5 SERVINGS | COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES | TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES
- 2 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock, or water
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- 1/2 tsp celtic salt
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder, or cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh organic spinach
- 12 oz skim mozzarella cheese, I used 16oz
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets
- 3 green onions, chopped
Preheat the oven to 400F.
In a 9×13 baking rectangular dish place the quinoa and green onions. On the meantime, place the broccoli in a large bowl and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes. Set aside. If you have a powerful microwave you may need just 3 minutes as it will continue to bake in the oven for about 5 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, with a wire whisk, mix the vegetable stock, pesto, arrowroot powder and salt. Heat mixture until boil. You can do this on your stove top or microwave. I used my microwave.
Add the vegetable stock to the quinoa followed by the spinach, parmesan and 3/4 of the mozzarella cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Take the quinoa casserole out of the oven and mix in the broccoli. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the quinoa and broccoli and place back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. If you like you can add more parmesan cheese over the top as well.
You can place your casserole under a broiler for 2-3 minutes to brown the top but this is just optional. Serve while still warm.
SHOP THE POST
Original Recipe from: Eat Good 4 Life | I have many iterations throughout this recipe to the original!
Iterations I Did Include:
- I used 2 cups of already cooked leftover quinoa with black beans I had for another meal. I just spread it out in half of the baking dish next to the garlic roasted uncooked quinoa.
- I used organic cheddar cheese with parmesan instead of mozzerella (I forgot to pick some up, so I used what I had)
- I added black beans
- I used sea salt instead of celtic salt
- I used corn starch instead of arrowroot powder
- I don’t eat onions, so there aren’t any in my recipe